In 1996, the Consumer Product Safety Commission voted to relax children sleepwear standards. The relaxed standards reflected the reality that parents were circumventing the standards by allowing children to sleep in more comfortable, but non-flame retardant sleepwear. The change allowed non-flame retardant, cotton sleepwear that was close fitting.
Now, the Nanny-staters want to overturn this ruling. Toward this end the American Public Health Association is urging its members to support an amendment to the VA-HUD appropriations bill sponsored by Rep. Rosa deLauro (D-N.J.). The amendment would restore the old standard.
The Senate-House conference on the bill starts Thursday, September 24.
WHAT DO TO:
- Check the list of conferees below for your Senator or Representative's name.
- Call the phone number provided and ask to speak with the staff person listed.
- MESSAGE -- Tell the staff person (or leave a voice mail message):1. Who you are, title, institution and identify yourself as a constituent;
2. State that you want the Senator or Congressperson, during the House-Senate conference on the VA-HUD Appropriations bill, to fight inclusion of the DeLauro amendment for tighter flammability standards for children's sleepwear.
3. State that parents should be able to choose for their children the sleepwear they want, whether designed to be flame retardant or merely comfortable.
4. Let me know the results. Thanks!
Conferees on the VA-HUD Appropriations bill
JERRY LEWIS (Chair) (R-CA-40) TEL: 202-225-3241 STAFF: Tim Peterson
JAMES WALSH (R-NY-25) TEL: 202-225-3701 STAFF: Ron Anderson
DAVID HOBSON (R-OH-7) TEL: 202-225-4324 STAFF: Kenny Kraft
RODNEY FRELING-HUYSEN (R-NJ-11) TEL: 202-225-5034 STAFF: Ed Krenik
LOUIS STOKES (D-OH-11) TEL: 202-225-3481 STAFF: Del Davis
Christopher Bond (Chair) (R-MO) TEL: 202-224-7238 STAFF: Cari Apostolou
Conrad Burns (R-MT) TEL: 202-224-2644 STAFF: Randall Popelka
Ted Stevens (R-AK) TEL: 202-224-3004 STAFF: Brian Utter
Ben Nighthorse Campbell (R-CO) TEL: 202-224-5852 STAFF: Larry Vigil
Larry Craig (R-ID) TEL: 202-224-2752 STAFF: Damon Tobias
Barbara Mikulski (D-MD) TEL: 202-224-4654 STAFF: David Bowers
Patrick Leahy (D-VT) TEL: 202-224-4242 STAFF: Amy Rainone
Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) TEL: 202-224-4744 STAFF: Kyra Fishbeck
Tom Harkin (D-IA) TEL: 202-224-3254 STAFF: Richard Bender
Robert Byrd (D-WV) TEL: 202-224-3954 STAFF: Glenn Eliot
Comments on this posting?
Click here to post a public comment on the Trash Talk Bulletin Board.
Click here to send a private comment to the Junkman.
Copyright © 1998 Steven J. Milloy. All rights reserved on original material. Material copyrighted by others is used either with permission or under a claim of "fair use." Site developed and hosted by WestLake Solutions, Inc.
Material presented on this home page constitutes opinion of Steven J. Milloy.